At Sewanee, we talked a lot (of course) about our favorite books and ones that demonstrated effects we were trying to create. This list was passed along by someone in my workshop – was put together originally by Kevin Brockmeier, June 17, 2011.
1. A Death in the Family by James Agee.
2. Ghosts by Cesar Aira
3. The complete Short Stories by J.G. Ballanrd
4. A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle
5. Once in Europa by John Berger
6. The Gold Sisters Trilogy by Kate Bernheimer
7. Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (hey, my first one that I’ve read)
8. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
9. Parable of theSower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler.
10. The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati